Our Introduction to Winter Skills 2 day, mid-week course, is held in the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales or Scotland
The course is aimed at summer hill and mountain walkers, who wish to develop their skills and confidence in Winter conditions.
Course Title: M2. Intro to Winter Skills (mid-week)
Duration: 2 days – instruction only
Cost: £160 per day
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales or Scotland.
Group size: up to 4 people
We enjoyed a good Winter season. Email for 2015 opportunities
- Review of current skills, experience and aspirations (Sunday evening meeting)
- Understanding Winter weather forecasts and conditions
- Use and choice of ice axes, crampons and crampon techniques
- Route Planning
- Basic Winter navigation skills, strategies and relocation
- Environmental issues and impacts
- Using techniques for safe movement on snow and steep ground (cutting steps)
- Ice axe arrest techniques Appraisal of snow structure and avalanche risk
- What to do in an emergency
- Emergency snow shelters
- Course review and feedback
Summer hill walking experience is essential. A reasonable level of fitness will ensure you get the most out of your 2 days.
You must bring your own compass, maps and waterproof map case. A Silva type 4 Compass is recommended. You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for Winter conditions (Winter Walking Kit List). You may use your own helmet, crampons and walking axes. However, we do include the use of a helmet, crampons and walking axe in our introductory winter skills course.
Just email joe @ mountaineeringjoe.co.uk. for further info or how we can personalise a day to suit you! Private guiding or instruction to suit your requirements.
Go to Booking menu to make a booking enquiry.