This course is essential to really get the most out of the mountains. Mountain skills is a 2 days and one evening course where we practice and discuss everything needed to venture on your own in the mountains safety. Looking after yourself from navigation to what to pack in your rucksack. You will spend the time in the mountains discussing all aspects of high level walking, from personal kit to handling steep ground. You will get technical help whenever you need in the future to keep developing your skills. What an ideal way to make sure you are safe in the mountains and to have the confidence to tackle harder walks!
What an ideal birthday present! Get yourself prepared in the outdoors with Mountaineering Joe !
Hill Skills Course Outline
• Developing an understanding of how to plan low level walks.
• Becoming familiar with the use of a map and compass.
• Understanding the weather on the hills and how this differs to normal forecasts.
• Dealing with emergencies while out walking.
• Learning about the upland environment.
• Course review and feedback.
How it all works
Mountain Training, is the official UK body that oversees training for qualifications and personal skills in the outdoors.
All participants are required to register with Mountain Training. (http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/awards/hill-and-mountain-skills).
This is a one-off cost and allows access to either or both courses. Cost: £20 per person (£17 for 14 to 18s) This allows:
• Access to unlimited technical advice from Mountain Training
• You enter your walks into their logbook so you have a record of everything you have done (optional but great if you intend to take the outdoors further!)
• You will receive copy of the ‘Safety on Mountains’ handbook
• You Register/book a course on their web site
You then book a course via their web site. My courses will be listed under Mountaineeringjoe.
Following this link for further details: http://mountaineeringjoe.co.uk/walking/mountain-skills-course/
Once registered you can then start logging your days out immediately if you want to. When you are ready to book a course this can be done via the mountain training web site. I will be able to see your log book and then be able to tailor the instruction personally for you. Once you have attend the course then a certificate of attendance after the training course will be send to you.
Course requirements and equipment
• You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain conditions.
• Hill and Mountain Skills courses require a minimum of 2 persons to run.
• Under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
For more information contact Mountaineering Joe or visit mountain training. Remember if you have a group of 4 or more then I can personally arrange a course date to suit you and bunkhouse accommodation for £120 pp during the week.
Get yourself prepared in the mountains with Mountaineering Joe.
The course develops skills in countryside and moorland areas and these will be applicable to many walking areas in the UK and Ireland. This is ideal for parents who want to build their children’s independence by allowing them to plan the walks. You will feel confident that they know how to look after themselves in the future whilst walking in the hills
A day out practicing Navigation on the Cairngorm plateau. Which really has to be more of the most difficult places to navigate in bad weather.
Do you find it hard calculating routes from a-b using compass bearings, timings and pacings, and a storyboard based on map features like walls, boundaries, cairns or sheepfolds etc. This method of navigating has such a complex story board that it requires constant referring to the map and compass. Complex pacings and timings, not conducive to a comfortable walk in the hills and an interesting conversation with your companions.
Want to be able to navigate with your map and compass, for the most part, zipped inside your pocket. Navigating using contours can simplify your navigation on most days being able to identify complex train around can allow you to put simple story board together so you can navigation with your map in your pocket and actually speak to people in your group!
Have a look at what you can do http://mountaineeringjoe.co.uk/mountaineering/navigation-courses-snowdonia/
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Anglesey Coastal Path – Guided Walks
- Booking Form
- Booking Terms and Conditions
- Climbing in Snowdonia & Anglesey, North Wales
- Course 6: GPS Navigation: Use of a GPS for navigating
- Gift Certificates
- List of Courses & Activities
- Mountaineering Joe Page Template
- Mountaineering Skills with Mountaineering Joe
- Navigation Courses in Snowdonia
- Outdoor News
- Private Guiding and Instruction
- Rock Climbing Courses in Snowdonia
- Rock Scrambling Courses (with rope work)
- Walking in Snowdonia, Snowdon walks and ridges in North wales
- Welsh 3000s 14 Peaks Challenge
- Welsh 3000s Challenge Training
- Welsh 3000s: 14 Peaks Challenge in 24 Hours
- Welsh 3000s: 14 Peaks Challenge over 3 Days
- Winter Skills Courses in Scotland
- Classic Ridge Walks of Snowdonia
- COURSE 1: Intro to Hill Skills and Navigation
- COURSE 1: Intro to Scrambling
- COURSE 1: Intro to Winter Skills (week-end)
- COURSE 1: Rock Climbing for Beginners
- COURSE 2: Advanced Scrambling (with short roping techniques)
- COURSE 2: Indoor Wall to Outdoor Rock
- COURSE 2: Intro to Winter Skills (mid-week)
- COURSE 2: Navigation for fell runners
- Epic Ridge Walks of Snowdonia
- Welsh 3000s: 14 Peaks Challenge Fell Running
- COURSE 3: Advanced Navigation
- COURSE 3: Classic Scottish Mountain Ridges
- COURSE 3: Classic Snowdon Scrambles
- COURSE 3: Learning to Lead Climb
- Snowdonia Walks (week-end)
- COURSE 4: Classic Snowdon Scramble: The Snowdon Horseshoe
- COURSE 4: Contour Master Class
- COURSE 4: Discover Sea-Cliff Climbing
- Snowdonia Walks (mid-week)
- COURSE 5: Classic Snowdon Scramble: Clogwyn y Person Arête
- COURSE 5: Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing
- COURSE 5: Intro to Winter Navigation
- Multi-day Camping trips in Snowdonia
- Rock Climbing Instructor Award (RCI) Refresher Courses in Snowdonia.
- COURSE 7: Improvised Rescue Techniques / Skills
- ML Refresher Courses in Snowdonia
- ML Refresher Courses in Snowdonia
- Hill Skills Courses in Snowdonia
- Mountain Skills Courses in Snowdonia
- August 2021
- August 2019
- July 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- February 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012