COURSE 1: Intro to Winter Skills (week-end)
Our Introduction to Winter Skills Weekend, held in Snowdonia, North Wales, or Scotland which will provide you with the skills to explore and enjoy the mountains in Winter.
The course is aimed at summer hill and mountain walkers, who wish to develop their skills and confidence in Winter conditions. The course programme is flexible to take account of prevailing weather conditions, individual aims and abilities.
Course Title: M1. Intro to Winter Skills (week-end)
Cost: £200 for 1 person. £220 for a group per day
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales or Scotland
Group size: up to 4 people
We enjoyed a good Winter season. Email for 2015 opportunities
- Review of current skills, experience and aspirations (Friday evening meeting)
- Understanding Winter weather forecasts and conditions
- Use and choice of ice axes, crampons and crampon techniques
- Route planning
- Basic Winter navigation skills
- Environmental issues and impacts
- Using techniques for safe movement on snow and steep ground (kicking steps)
- Ice axe arrest techniques
- Appraisal of snow structure and avalanche risk
- What to do in an emergency
- Course review and feedback
Summer hill walking experience is essential. A reasonable level of fitness will ensure you get the most out of your 2 days.
You must bring your own compass, maps and waterproof map case. A Silva type 4 Compass is recommended. You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for Winter conditions ( a Winter Walking Kit List will provided). You may use your own helmet, crampons and ice axes. However, we do include the use of a helmet, crampons and axes on this introductory winter skills course.
Just email joe @ mountaineeringjoe.co.uk. for further info or how we can personalise a day to suit you! Private guiding or instruction to suit your requirements.
Go to Booking menu to make a booking enquiry.