Clogwyn Y Person Arête is one of the finest natural lines in the area and the most famous 3 Star, Grade 2/3 classic scramble on the Snowdon Massif. Combine this with a climb of the exposed Parsons Nose for an Alpine experience.
Course Title: S5. Classic Snowdon Scrambles: Clogwyn Y Person Arête
Duration: 1 day – instruction only
Cost: £190-210 (2 people £210)
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales
Group size: up to 2 clients with 1 instructor.
We start in the Llanberis Pass, crossing the Afon Gennog, walking steadily upwards into Cwm Glas Mawr, the beautiful Llyn Glas and a remote cirque.
- The arête towers above you. Taking the ridge directly, we ascend the crest of the arête via the rib. A variety of short walls and ledges provide plenty of protection.
- The Parsons Nose is a blocky, slabby buttress and a Grade 3 scramble (Diff climb). Dificult, exposed steps with broad ledges maintain the exposure on this route.
- As we reach the broad slopes of Crib y Ddysgl, the angle eases and the rock turns to scree. We continue on the traverse of Crib y Ddysgl, summiting Garnedd Ugain. Circling the rim of Glaslyn, we summit Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa).
Descent is via the Pyg or Miner’s Track. Or we retrace our steps from the summit of Snowdon to Crib y Ddysgl and continue along the exhilirating, 3 Star, Grade 1 traverse of the narrow, jagged, knife-edged ridge of Crib Goch.
Our aim is to develop your confidence scrambling at higher grades. During the day we will review:
- Safe movement on steep ground on ascent and descent
- Rope techniques, including belays and use of slings
- Selecting and using natural anchors (rock spikes)
- The affect of mountain weather on route selection
- Environmental issues and impacts
- Emergency procedures
Summer hill walking and grade 1 scrambling experience is essential. Grade 2 and 3 scrambles require basic climbing skills. This guided scrambling day will help you to understand rope techniques, how to place gear, set up anchors and belays to protect yourself and your partner on the route. A reasonable level of fitness and a head for heights, will ensure you get the most out of your day.
You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain walking and scrambling.
Call me for a chat and look at ourListings for the activities and courses.
We arrange scrambles across Snowdonia. Tryfan and the Glyders have some excellent scrambling routes. We are happy to arrange private guiding and instruction to help you get the most out of your scrambling in North Wales.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
Experience a fine scramble and climb, on a classic route, with an Alpine feel.