The magnificent Snowdon Horseshoe is ‘the’ classic Snowdonia Scramble, combining the thrilling ascent of the East Ridge of Crib Goch, the awe-inspiring traverse of the exposed knife-edged ridge of Crib Goch, and the Third Pinnacle, before you even reach the summit of Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa).
Our aim is to develop your scrambling skills as you are guided along this famous scramble.
Course Title: S4. Classic Snowdon Scrambles: The Snowdon Horseshoe
Duration: 1 day – instruction only
Cost: £190-210 per day (1 day course with 2 people total cost £210).
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales
Group size: up to 2 clients with 1 instructor.
Route and Course Outline
We start the day at Pen y Pass and ascend the path to col of Bwlch y Moch. From here we turn right towards the East Ridge of Crib Goch and your first experience of sustained scrambling on the route.
- East Ridge of Crib Goch, a 2 Star, Grade 1 scramble, the difficulties lie lower down, with sustained scrambling up a narrowing ridge.
- The Traverse of Crib Goch, a 3 Star, Grade 1 classic. A famous, exposed scramble along a knife-edged and pinnacled ridge. The views are spectacular.
- Crib y Ddysgl, a 2 Star, Grade 1 scramble along the ridge continuing from Crib Goch. We will ascend the third pinnacle direct to gain the summit. Some light relief as we descend slightly to Bwlch Coch and resume the traverse along Crib y Ddysgl, tackling the little chimneys and blocks direct to the summit of Garnedd Ugain.
- Circling the rim of Glaslyn, we summit Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa). Leaving Snowdon summit we descend to a marker stone on the south-west ridge. Our path continues down loose scree paths to the south face of Bwlch y Saethau.
- From here we traverse Lliwedd, a 2 Star, Grade 1 scramble along a rocky crest and broad-backed ridges. Summiting the West and East Peaks. We continue our descent down ledges and loose scree to the shore of Llyn Llydaw and the Miner’s Track to Pen y Pass
We will develop your skills and confidence on more challenging terrain, providing guidance on:
- Safe movement on steep ground on ascent and descent
- Rope techniques, including belays and use of slings
- Selecting and using natural anchors (rock spikes)
- The affect of mountain weather on route selection
- Environmental issues and impacts
- Emergency procedures
Summer hill walking experience is essential as the terrain is challenging at times. A reasonable level of fitness and a head for heights, will ensure you get the most out of this traverse. This is a long and challenging day out, expect to be walking and scrambling for about 7 hours.
You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain walking conditions.
Call me for a chat and look at our Listings for the activities and courses.
We arrange scrambles across Snowdonia. Tryfan and the Glyders have some excellent scrambling routes. We are happy to arrange private guiding and instruction to help you get the most out of your scrambling in North Wales.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
Enjoy the charms of the cwms and lakes and the spectacle of exposed, knife-edged ridges on this magnificent scramble with Mountaineering Joe.