Enjoy some of Snowdonia’s classic scrambles on our 2 day Advanced Scrambling course, in Snowdonia, North Wales.
The course is aimed at experienced summer hill walkers and Grade 1 scramblers who wish to develop their skills and confidence on more challenging terrain.
Course Title: S2. Advanced Scrambling
Duration: 2 days – instruction only
Cost: £400 per group (2 days course with 1/2 people)
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales
Group size: up to 2 clients with 1 instructor.
Experience excellent, grade 2 and grade 3 scrambles. Here are a few examples:
- Tryfan Bach Approach,(Grade 3), has a wonderful slab climb, followed by a ridge scramble to the summit, providing plenty of opportunity to practice rope techniques and belays
- Wrinkled Tower, (Grade 3), on the West Face of Tryfan, a series of blocks, steps, ribs, cracks and flakes and an exposed ramp and tower to add to the excitement
- The rocky ridge of Clogwyn Y Person Arête, (Grade 2/3), on the Snowdon group, difficulties are compensated for by the large, widely spaced ledges that add a sense of security
- Cneifion Arête, Glyder Fawr, (Grade 3), provides an exposed and sustained scrambling experience
Basic rock climbing techniques and rope protection (using short roping techniques) will be used on these scrambles. The course programme and routes selected are flexible to take account of prevailing weather conditions, individual aims and abilities.
- Scrambling routes in ascent and descent
- Review of current skills, experience and aspirations
- Techniques for safe movement on steep ground on ascent and descent
- Assessing risk, hazard management and safe-guarding group members
- Route finding and route planning
- Short Roping techniques, including knowing when to use a rope, belays and use of slings
- Safe and efficient placement of gear (nuts, friends and extenders where appropriate)
- Selecting and using natural anchors (rock spikes)
- Environmental issues and impacts
- Understanding the impact of weather conditions on route selection
- Emergency procedures
- Course review and feedback
Summer hill walking experience, scrambling at grade 1 and a head for heights is essential. A reasonable level of fitness will ensure you get the most out of your 2 days, as these are long mountain days in rugged terrain.
You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain walking conditions (Kit List). You should have your own helmet, harness and belay device. These items may be hired as a set from Mountaineering Joe, at a cost of £20 for the duration of your course. Please tell us if you need to hire this equipment when you make your booking.
Call me for a chat and look at our listingsListings for the activities and courses.
We are happy to arrange private guiding or instruction to suit requirements.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
We look forward to developing your technical scrambling ability and confidence on more exposed terrain