These Mountain Skills Courses are the development of personal mountain skills, providing you with the ability to navigate and be self-sufficient. Developing the essential safety skills needed for your high level mountain walking. If you are a beginner, hill walker, or looking to improve your skills for walking in the mountains, this course could be just what you need to increase your confidence and start planning your own adventures!
Course Title: Mountain Skills course
Duration: 2 day + 1 evening – instruction only
Cost: £120 for the course
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales
Group size: up to 4 clients with 1 instructor
Mountain Skills Course Outline
- Developing plans for high level mountain walks
- Use of a map and compass on steep ground
- Understanding the weather in the mountains and how this differs to normal forecasts
- Dealing with emergencies while out walking
- Walking on steep ground including route finding
- Learning about the mountain environment
- Course review and feedback
The Mountain Skills course is for people who want to formalise or reinforce their countryside walking skills sets to include the mountain environment. Participants should a reasonable level of fitness.
How the Scheme works
Mountain Training, the official body that oversees popular training for qualifications and personal skills such as Mountain Leader. They have introduced the Hill and Mountain Skills schemes in April last year.
All participants are required to register with Mountain Training. (http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/awards/hill-and-mountain-skills).
This is a one-off cost and allows access to either or both courses. Cost: £20 per person (£17 for under 18s) This allows:
- Access to unlimited technical advice from Mountain Training
- Enter your walks into their logbook so you have a record of everything you have done
- You receive copy of the ‘Safety on Mountains’ handbook
- You can Register/book a course on their web site
You then book the course via their web site. You can then start logging your days out immediately if you want to. When you are ready to book a course this can be done via the mountain training web site. I will be able to see your log book and then be able to tailor the instruction personally for you. Once you have attend the course then a certificate of attendance after the training course will be send to you.
Some previous experience and knowledge is assumed of walking. But this is not essential.
Course requirements and equipment
- You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain conditions.
- Hill and Mountain Skills courses require a minimum of 2 persons to run.
- Young persons under 18 must be accompanied by a participating parent or legally appointed guardian.
For more information contact Mountaineering Joe or visit mountain training. Remember if you have a group of 4 or more then I can personally arrange a course date to suit you and bunkhouse accommodation for £140 pp during the week.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
Get yourself prepared in the mountains with Mountaineering Joe on our Mountain Skills Courses.