Summit all of Snowdonia’s peaks over 3000ft from Foel Fras to Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon), over 3 days, ending your traverse on the highest mountain in England and Wales.
Take time to savour the moments of the ultimate Snowdonia extended ridge adventure.
Course Title: CH2. Welsh 3000s – 14 Peaks Challenge in 3 Days.
Duration: 3 day challenge – guided traverse
Cost: £250 per person
Group Size: 4 clients min for the event to run (enquire about a private booking to run your own event)
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales.
Southbound Traverse of the Welsh 3000s
Traditionally known as the 14 Peaks Challenge, we will embark on the 60km (37 miles) Southbound Traverse. In adverse weather conditions, variations to the route may be substituted. We will start this magnificent journey at Abergwyngregan, ascending to Drum and onto the first 3000+ summit on the Carneddau, Foel Fras.
Day 1: The Carneddau Range
- Foel Fras 942m (3091ft) is the first and remotest peak of the southbound traverse
- Garnedd Uchaf 926m (3038ft) classed as the 15th Peak on the North Bound 24 hrTraverse
- Foel Grach 976m (3202ft)
- Carnedd Llewelyn 1064m (3491ft)
- Yr Elen 962m (3156ft)
- Carnedd Dafydd 1044m (3424ft)
- Pen yr Ole Wen 978m (3209ft)
Having summited the 6 peaks of the Carneddau we descend to Glan Dena to complete the day.
Day 2: The Glyderau Range
We will ascend the North Ridge of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge en route to the pinnacled summits of Glyder Fach and Castell y Gwynt. From Y Garn our goal is to ascend the ridge to Elidar Fawr.
- Tryfan 915m (3002ft) and the iconic summit stones of Adam and Eve. Joe’s favourite mountain.
- Glyder Fach 994m (3262ft)
- Castell y Gwynt 972m (3189ft) This rocky summit feature, takes our total to 16 peaks
- Glyder Fawr 999m (3279ft)
- Y Garn 947m (3107ft)
- Elidar Fawr 923m (3029ft)
We descend to Nant Peris (incidently, Joe was married in the church here) to complete the traverse of the Glyders.
Day 3: The Snowdon Range
The Snowdon Massif completes our traverse. We head up Cwm Glas onto the North Ridge of Crib Goch and traverse this spectacular Grade 1 scramble, with spectacular views, to Garnedd Ugain.
- Crib Goch 923m (3028ft) the knife-edged and exposed arête with steep drops either side
- Garnedd Ugain 1065m (3495ft) on the Crib y Ddysgl ridge
- Yr Wyddfa – Snowdon 1085m (3560ft) the highest point in the British Isles outside Scotland and our final summit – congratulations.
Our descent option will be decided on the day.
You will need to be reasonably fit and have mountain walking experience as the days are long. You will be walking between 5 to 8 hours each day over rough and often steep terrain. A head for heights is necessary as some parts of the route are very exposed with steep drops. Do not under-estimate this challenge even over 3 days. Ascents and descents are demanding.
You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain walking conditions. A kit list will be provided on booking.
Call me for a chat and look at our Listings for the activities and courses.
We are happy to arrange private guiding or instruction to suit requirements.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry
This unique experience will be one you will never forget. We look forward to helping you achieve it.