Climbing in Snowdonia & Anglesey, North Wales
Our rock climbing courses in North Wales offers the climber, of all abilities, a variety of climbing environments to develop and practice your climbing skills.
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales and the Isle of Anglesey
In Snowdonia the Ogwen area and the LLanberis Pass, have a variety of accessible routes for novices and experienced mountaineers. The Moelwyns provide a good introduction to rock climbing. Tremadog hosts superb rock. Gogarth and Rhoscolyn on Anglesey, offer a range of superb sea-cliff climbing.
When in condition the Snowdon and Ogwen areas offer some excellent winter climbing routes.
Approach to Skills Development
Joe has a patient and friendly approach to coaching and instructing. This will enable you to develop your foot and body movement skills, improve your judgement and gain confidence in your climbing abilities. Joe will provide immediate feedback on your progress throughout the day. Your end of course review, will assist you in understanding how to improve your performance further and inform your practice.
We believe that a small group size is important and will provide the best learning experience. Our maximum group size is 2 clients to one experienced instructor for all our climbing courses.
Each course has a different focus to develop your skills progressively, ensuring you understand and apply the range of techniques confidently. For further information please see the course outline provided for each course. We will make the most of the prevailing weather conditions.
We offer private guiding and instruction if you would like a completely personalised climbing experience, tailored to your requirements.
What experience do I need?
- Rock Climbing for Beginners You do not need any experience, just enthusiasm. You will learn basic climbing skills and techniques, as well as climb some classic routes.
- Indoor Wall to Outdoor Rock Some indoor climbing experience is required. We will help you develop the skills and techniques to climb confidently as a second outside.
- Learn to Lead Climb You must be a proficient second, who understands basic belaying techniques, rope work and the principles of leading. You will learn all the skills to enjoy your first lead climb and leave wanting more.
- Sea-Cliff Climbing For our Discover sea-cliff climbing course, outdoor rock climbing experience, as a competent second, VD Grade is required. The sea-cliff’s will deliver a new climbing experience.
- Multi-Pitch Climbing Regular single pitch climbing is required to progress to multi-pitch climbing. An understanding of basic belaying techniques and rope work is required.
What equipment do I need?
Mountaineering Joe provides all technical equipment: helmet, harness and belay device for the beginners course. You are expected to have your own climbing equipment for all other climbing courses. We use our own ropes. You must wear footwear (climbing shoes) and clothing, appropriate for climbing and for the time of year. Your instructor will check that your equipment is appropriate for the activity. A kit list is provided for each course
All courses are on an ‘instruction’ basis. NOTE: We can advise on local accommodation and arrange bunkhouse style if required
We also provide Navigation, Scrambling and Winter skills courses that range from introductory to advanced and specialist courses. See our course pages.