Good navigation and map reading skills are of vital importance if you are caught out in bad weather conditions, as we all know being prepared makes you much safer. Mountaineering Joe runs navigation courses in Snowdonia and offers private instruction, to help you to improve your navigation and map reading skills. What you learn will enhance your enjoyment of mountaineering, scrambling and hill walking on Mountaineering Joe’s navigation courses in Snowdonia.
Attending a map reading course with Mountaineering Joe will increase your proficiency, confidence and judgement when you are out in the hills and mountains.
Special Offer for groups: Book as a group of 6 people, get the 2 day course and 2 nights accommodation in a private bunkhouse for £70 per person. Applies to all courses based in North Wales
As an accredited course provider of the National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS), our Hill Skills and Mountain Skills and Navigation courses include training to either the Bronze or Silver NNAS standards. Assessment is optional.
Location/s: Snowdonia and the Isle of Anglesey, North Wales or the Cairngorms, Scotland
Our Navigation Courses are delivered in the spectacular Snowdonia National Park, on the Isle of Angelsey and surrounding areas in North Wales, apart from ‘Introduction to Winter Navigation Skills’ which takes place in North Wales or the breathtaking scenery of the Cairngorm National Park, in the Scottish Highlands.
Approach to Skills Development
Our professional, experienced, patient and friendly instructor will introduce you to the techniques and skills in a logical progression, developing competence, observational skills and judgement, in keeping with your personal aspirations and abilities.
We believe that a small group size is important and will provide the best navigation and skills learning experience. Our maximum group size is 4 clients to one qualified instructor.
All courses cover safety, access, conservation, environmental and impact issues where relevant. Each course has a different focus to develop your skills progressively. For further information please see the course outline provided for each course. We will make the most of the prevailing weather conditions (knowing that the British weather can be unpredictable).
What experience do I need?
- Intro to Hill Skills and Navigation: no previous mountain or navigation experience is required. Ideally you will have summer hill walking experience
- Mountain Skills and Navigation: requires some experience of navigating (you should be able to take compass bearings). You will have experience of hill and mountain walking.
- Advanced Navigation Skills:experience of map reading and using a compass is essential. You will have experience of hill and mountain walking.
- Essentials of Navigation:Contours and Clues: some experience of map reading and using a compass is essential. You will have experience of hill and mountain walking.
- Introduction to Winter Navigation Skills: Basic summer navigation skills are essential. Winter hill walking experience including the use of ice axe and crampons are required.
What equipment will I need?
We recommened a Silva type 4 Compass and waterproof Ordnance Survey maps. Your instructor will check that your equipment is appropriate for the activity. A kit list is provided for each course.
All courses are on an ‘instruction’ basis. NOTE: We can advise on local accommodation and arrange bunkhouse style if required
We look forward to developing your navigation skills helping you to enjoy the outdoors safely and confidently. So join me on one of my navigation courses in Snowdonia