Hill Skills Courses in Snowdonia
The aim of these Hill Skills Courses in Snowdonia are the development of personal hill skills, providing you with the ability to navigate and be self-sufficient. Developing the essential safety skills needed for your personal hill walking. If you are new, or are looking to improve your skills for walking in the hills, these Hill Skills Courses could be just what you need to increase your confidence and to plan your own adventures
Course Title: Hill Skills course
Duration: 2 day + 1 evening – instruction only
Cost: £120 for the course per person
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales
Group size: Min 4 clients with 1 instructor
Hill Skills Course Outline
- Developing an understanding of how to plan low level walks.
- Becoming familiar with the use of a map and compass.
- Understanding the weather on the hills and how this differs to normal forecasts.
- Dealing with emergencies while out walking.
- Learning about the upland environment.
- Course review and feedback.
The Hill Skills Course develops skills in countryside and moorland areas and these will be applicable to many walking areas in the UK and Ireland. This is ideal for parents who want to build their children’s independence by allowing them to plan the walks. You will feel confident that they know how to look after themselves in the future whilst walking in the hills
How the Scheme works
Mountain Training, the official body that oversees popular training for qualifications and personal skills such as Mountain Leader. They have introduced the Hill and Mountain Skills schemes last year.
All participants are required to register with Mountain Training. (http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/awards/hill-and-mountain-skills).
This is a one-off cost and allows access to either or both courses. Cost: £20 per person (£17 for under 18s) This allows:
- Access to unlimited technical advice from Mountain Training
- Enter your walks into their logbook so you have a record of everything you have done
You receive copy of the ‘Safety on Mountains’ handbook
- You can Register/book a course on their web site
You then book the course via their web site. You can then start logging your days out immediately if you want to. When you are ready to book a course this can be done via the mountain training web site. I will be able to see your log book and then be able to tailor the instruction personally for you. Once you have attend the course then a certificate of attendance after the training course will be send to you.
No previous experience or knowledge is assumed.
Course requirements and equipment
- You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for Hill conditions.
- Hill and Mountain Skills courses require a minimum of 2 persons to run.
- Young persons under 18 must be accompanied by a participating parent or legally appointed guardian.
For more information contact Mountaineering Joe or visit mountain training. Remember if you have a group of 4 or more then I can personally arrange a course date to suit you and bunkhouse accommodation for £140 pp during the week.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
Get yourself prepared on the hills with Mountaineering Joe with one of the Hill Skills Courses in Snowdonia.