Our Mountain Walking Traverses in the Picos de Europa, Northern Spain, offers stunning mountain landscapes and breathtaking scenery. Included is a trek to the summit of Torre de los Horcados Rojos to complete your adventure.
T2. Picos de Europa: Mountain Traverses
Duration: 8 days
Date: Arranged according to your requirements.
Grade: Grade 2 – moderate to strenuous treks
Cost: This will depend on the size of the group. Contact me for an exact quote.
Includes: Guiding, Asturias airport pick up/drop off, daily transport, full board accommodation indicated as, B (breakfast) PL (packed lunch) and D (dinner).
Excludes: Flights, your own personal, cancellation and travel insurance, teleférico (cable car) charge at Fuente Dé.
Group Size: 4 to 6 maximum.
We include a guided walking day in Snowdonia, North Wales for all our Picos de Europa bookings. A great opportunity to meet up, walk and discuss your trek
Picos: Mountain Traverses Trek
Please note that the final itinerary will be dependent upon local conditions at the time of the trek and the fitness and aspirations of the group. We will stay in the mountain village of Sotres and in a rural casa near the town of Potes.
- Day 1: Arrive in the Picos de Europa. Pick up from Asturias (OVD) Airport. We will be staying in a comfortable, rural Pensión in the mountain village of Sotres for 4 nights (D)
- Day 2: The classic Central Massif trek from Sotres to Refugio Vega de Urriellu and the famous Naranjo de Bulnes. We return to Sotres via Bulnes and a steep gorge walk. (B, PL, D)
- Day 3: A high level mountain and ridge walk in the Oriental (Eastern) massif, with stunning views across to the Central Massif. Starting at Era del Torco to Pica Valdominguera (2265m) via Refugio Casetón de Andara. (B, PL, D)
- Day 4: Returning to the lunar landscape of the Central Massif our trek commences at Poncebos up the Canal del Texu, through the high Alpine meadow Llanas del Tornu. Our trek continues onto La Cuesta ‘l Trabe and a descent into the Cares Gorge. Finishing the day with a relaxing walk out along the famous Cares Gorge to Poncebos. (B, PL, D)
- Day 5: Today we move to our rural accommodation near Potes and you have a day to enjoy the ancient market town of Potes. (B, PL, D)
- Day 6: The classic Vega de Liordes trek. From Fuente Dé, a gradual ascent to Alto de la Canal. Dropping down into the Vega Liordes, with fine views of Pena Ramona. A steep zig-zag descent down the Canal del Embudo brings us back to the valley of Fuente Dé. (B, PL, D)
- Day 7: Our final day culminates in a trek to the summit of the Torre de los Horcados Rojos (2,506m). You will have excellent views across the Picos and to Naranjo de Bulnes. We start off with a journey on the teleférico to El Cable, at the start of your day. From El Cable we continue on a good path until we start a gradual zig-zagging ascent from La Vueltona to Aguja Bustamante, then on to Horcados Rojos. We return to El Cable for our descent to Fuente Dé and a celebratory dinner. (B, PL, D)
- Day 8: Return to Asturias Airport for your journey home. (B)
Mountain walking experience is essential. For example, in North Wales you would be comfortable walking across the Glyderau range. These are long mountain walking days.
You must wear walking boots and clothing, appropriate for mountain walking and for the time of year. Your guide will check that your equipment is appropriate for the activity. A kit list is provided when you book.
- Flights – Easyjet fly from London Stansted to Asturias (OVD).
- All treks are delivered by a friendly, experienced, knowledgeable and qualified Summer and Winter Mountain Leader.
We are happy to arrange a bespoke trip to the Picos de Europa, to suit your requirements and dates. Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
Explore the Picos de Europa with Joe on your trekking adventure this September.