This Picos de Europa trek, with Mountaineering Joe, takes you on a wonderful walk, at a relaxing pace, through wild meadows, mountain hamlets and villages, breathtaking gorges, stunning mountain landscapes and around beautiful lakes.
T1. Picos de Europa: Lakes, Gorges and Mountain Passes
Duration: 8 days
Date: Arranged according to your requirements
Grade: Grade 1 – Easy to moderate treks (day walks) on good tracks and paths.
Cost: This will depend on the size of the group. Contact me for an exact quote
Includes: Guiding, Asturias airport pick up/drop off, daily transport, full board accommodation, indicated as B (breakfast) PL (packed lunch) and D (dinner).
Excludes: Flights, your own personal, cancellation and travel insurance. Funicular charge from Poncebos to Bulnes.
Group Size: 4 to 6 maximum
We include a guided walking day in Snowdonia, North Wales for all our Picos de Europa bookings. A great opportunity to meet up, walk and discuss your trek
Lakes, Gorges and Mountain Passes Trek
This outline itinerary is an indication of our daily treks. The final itinerary will be dependent upon local conditions at the time of the trek and the wishes and aspirations of the group.
- Day 1: Arrive in the Picos de Europa. Pick up from Asturias (OVD) Airport. We will be staying in a comfortable, rural Pensión in the mountain village of Sotres for 4 nights (D)
- Day 2: Sotres to Puerta Poncebos via the idyllic mountain village of Bulnes. There is an option to take the funicular to Bulnes on the return walk. There is a mixture of paths and tracks and some sections of gradual, not steep ascent. The scenery is beautiful, taking in Alpine meadows and the Canal del Texu gorge. Bulnes is the highest village in the Picos de Europa. (B,PL,D)
- Day 3: A beautiful valley and mountain walk from Sotres, along the Valley Duje, a gradual ascent on excellent paths to the Hotel-Refugio Odriozola (de Aliva). We return to Sotres, circling around by the royal hunting chalet ‘Chalet Real’ of the Spanish royal family and the Puertos de Aliva (a high alpine meadow). We have wonderful views of Peña Vieja and Peña Olvídada. (B,PL,D)
- Day 4: The famous Cares Gorge path snakes it way through the gorge, with spectacular views. We walk at a relaxing pace from Puerta Poncebos to the hamlet of Caín and return along the gorge.(B, PL, D)
- Day 5: We leave Sotres today and head to Potes for a morning sight-seeing in this ancient market town. We continue our journey to our rural, family run, casa in Covadonga for 3 nights. (B, PL, D)
- Day 6: Our first Covadonga lakes trek takes us from the beautiful Llagu de la Ercina to Refugio Arredonda (Marqués de Villaviciosa). There is an option (time permitting) to continue to Hultayo and circle round, back to the lakes. There are mixture of tracks and good paths on this trek. Some gradual, but not steep, uphill sections. The views across to the Cares Gorge and the Central Massif are breathtaking. (B, PL, D)
- Day 7: From Llagu de Enol, we walk through the high mountain meadows of the Vega Canrasu to Mirador de Ordiales (1740m) which gives us stunning panoramic views of the Central Massif. This a high mountain walking route, some gradual, but not steep, uphill sections with good paths. (B, PL, D)
- Day 8: Before you depart Northern Spain, we will enjoy a few hours in the town of Cangas de Onis before taking you to Asturias Airport for your journey home. (B)
Hill walking experience is essential. Experience of walking in the mountains and a good level of fitness will ensure you get the most out of your trek. If you are unsure, please contact us for a chat.
You must wear walking boots and clothing, appropriate for hill and mountain walking and for the time of year. Your guide will check that your equipment is appropriate for the activity. A kit list is provided when you book.
- Flights – Easyjet fly from London Stansted to Asturias (OVD).
- All treks are delivered by an experienced, knowledgeable and qualified Summer and Winter Mountain Leader.
We are happy to arrange bespoke treks to suit requirements. Contact us to make a booking enquiry.
We look forward to enjoying some amazing and classic Picos de Europa treks with you.