This 2 day introductory course in Snowdonia assumes that you have not navigated before and we start with the basics to build your confidence.
Course Title: N1. Intro to Hill Skills and Navigation
Duration 2 days – instruction only
Cost: £110 per person
Group Size: up to 4 clients with 1 instructor (min 2)
Special Offer for groups: Book as a group of 6 people, get the 2 day course and 2 nights accommodation in a private bunkhouse for £70 per person.
You have an option to complete the National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) Bronze award on this course.
Spend an enjoyable 2 days in the hills learning and practicing (plenty of practice) a range of skills.
- Understanding maps, symbols and scales
- Taking and locating grid references
- Using a compass
- Map reading and relating the area around you to the map.
- Use simple navigation techniques and strategies to get you from A to B (features, contours, estimating distances)
- Plan a safe and suitable walk including relocating yourself (in case you get lost).
- Understanding access rights and responsibilities and what to do in an emergency.
- Course review and feedback
Hill walking experience is desirable. We assume that you have no navigation experience, or you may have some navigational experience but need some encouragement to build your confidence.
You must bring your own compass, maps and waterproof map case. A Silva type 4 Compass is recommended. Waterproof maps as follows: 1:50,000 Snowdon Landranger 115; 1.25,000 Explorer OL17 or the older style; 1:25,000 Snowdon and Conwy Valley Outdoor Leisure 17.
We are happy to arrange private guiding or instruction to suit requirements.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry
We look forward to developing your navigation skills and helping you to enjoy the outdoors safely and confidently.