Learn essential Winter navigation skills on our 2 day introduction to Winter Navigation and get more enjoyment out of the mountains.
You will learn and practice a range of skills from: interpreting and orientating a map, using a compass, understanding contours and features, strategies for poor visibility and avoiding WINTER mountain hazards.
We enjoyed a good Winter season. Email for 2015 opportunities
Course Title N5. Intro to Winter Navigation
Duration: 2 days – instruction only
Cost: £120 per person
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales or Scotland depending on winter conditions
Group size: up to 4 clients with 1 instructor (2 min)
The programme for each day will be flexible and be dependent upon prevailing weather conditions, individual and group abilities, and their aspirations.
- Review of current skills, experience and aspirations
- Map reading and relating the area around you to the map
- Using a compass
- Use simple navigation techniques and strategies to get you from A to B (features, contours, estimating distances)
- Navigation skills for poor visibility
- Plan a safe and suitable walk including: avoiding hazards (avalanche prone slopes) and relocating yourself
- What to do in an emergency
- Technical advice on walking with crampons and ice axe’s
- Course review and feedback
Winter hill walking experience including the use of ice axe and crampons are required. Basic summer navigation skills are essential.
You must bring your own compass, maps and waterproof map case. Clothing and footwear must be appropriate for Winter conditions (Winter Walking Kit List). We provide crampons and a walking axe for our introduction to winter navigation courses. However, you are welcome to use your own crampons and walking axe.
We are happy to arrange private guiding or instruction to suit requirements.
Contact us to make a booking enquiry
We look forward to helping you with your winter navigation skills.