Learn essential Winter navigation skills on our 2 day introduction to Winter Navigation and get more enjoyment out of the mountains.
You will learn and practice a range of skills from: interpreting and orientating a map, using a compass, understanding contours and features, strategies for poor visibility and avoiding WINTER mountain hazards.
We enjoyed a good Winter season.
Course Title N5. Intro to Winter Navigation
Cost: £160 per day
Location: Snowdonia, North Wales or Scotland depending on winter conditions
Group size: up to 4 clients
The programme for each day will be flexible and be dependent upon prevailing weather conditions, individual and group abilities, and their aspirations.
- Review of current skills, experience and aspirations
- Map reading and relating the area around you to the map
- Using a compass
- Use simple navigation techniques and strategies to get you from A to B (features, contours, estimating distances)
- Navigation skills for poor visibility
- Plan a safe and suitable walk including: avoiding hazards (avalanche prone slopes) and relocating yourself
- What to do in an emergency
- Technical advice on walking with crampons and ice axe’s
- Course review and feedback
Winter hill walking experience including the use of ice axe and crampons are required. Basic summer navigation skills are essential.
You must bring your own compass, maps and waterproof map case. Clothing and footwear must be appropriate for Winter conditions (Winter Walking Kit List). We provide crampons and a walking axe for our introduction to winter navigation courses. However, you are welcome to use your own crampons and walking axe.
Just email joe @ mountaineeringjoe.co.uk. for further info or how we can personalise a day to suit you! Private guiding or instruction to suit your requirements.
Go to Booking menu to make a booking enquiry.
We look forward to helping you with your winter navigation skills.