This is our ultimate, high level multi-day mountain trek, in the Picos de Europa, Northern Spain. The walking days are long, sometimes strenuous and challenging. You are rewarded with spectacular views and an amazing experience.
T3. Picos de Europa: Picos Multi-Day Trek
Duration: 8 days
Date: Saturday 17th September to Saturday 24th September 2016
Grade: Grade 3 – strenuous and challenging.
Cost: £695 per person
Includes: Guiding, Asturias airport pick up/drop off, daily transport where applicable and half-board accommodation. Where meals are included in the price they are indicated with B (breakfast) PL (packed lunch) and D (dinner).
Excludes: Flights, your own personal, cancellation and travel insurance. Where a meal is not included, food can be purchased at the huts and villages.
Group Size: 4 to 6 maximum.
We include a guided walking day in Snowdonia, North Wales for all our Picos de Europa bookings. A great opportunity to meet up, walk and discuss your trek
Picos Multi-Day Trek
Please note that the final itinerary will be dependent upon local conditions at the time of the trek and the fitness and aspirations of the group. We will stay in mountain huts (refugios) or village accommodation as we traverse the massifs. You will be carrying all of your kit with you.
- Day 1: Arrive in the Picos de Europa. Pick up from Asturias (OVD) Airport. We will be staying in a comfortable, rural Pensión in the mountain village of Sotres for 1 night. (D, B, PL)
- Day 2: Leaving Sotres we trek through the Alpine meadow towards Bulnes, with spectacular views from the Colláu Pandébano. Continuing over the Cuesta ‘l Trabe, dropping down into the Cares Gorge with a steep walk out the other side to our hut for the evening the Refugio Marques de Villaviciosa, located in the Vega d’ Ariu. (D, B)
- Day 3: Today we trek across the high plateau of the Western Massifs to the Covadonga Lakes, Enol and Ercina and the Vega de Enol. If time permits we will ascend to the Mirador de Ordiales. Our second night is in the mountain hut Refugio de Vegarredonda. (D, B)
- Day 4: Moving East through the dramatic landscape, passing through the Hou Santa with fantastic views over to the del Torco peak and Santa de Castilla. Circling around the peaks we drop into the lower Alpine meadow of Cuesta del Caballo and a gradual descent into the Cares Gorge and our next overnight stop in Cordinanes. (D, B)
- Day 5: From Cordinanes we have a continuous steep ascent of about 4000ft. Weaving amongst the rocks we enter the Canal de Asotín. Eventually, we arrive at the Refugio Diego Mella for the night. Chill out, relax and enjoy the spectacular views. (D, B)
- Day 6: Our journey continues through Hoya del llambrión, towards Cabana Verónica, circling around Los Horcados Rojos. We end the day at the iconic Naranjo de Bulnes, staying at the Ubeda hut. (D, B)
- Day 7: After a leisurely morning our final trek descends from Naranjo de Bulnes towards Sotres and a celebratory evening meal.(D, B)
- Day 8: We return you to Asturias Airport for your journey home. (B)
Mountain walking experience is essential. For example, in North Wales you would be comfortable walking across the Glyderrau range. These are long mountain walking days, with some steep ascents and descents.
You must wear walking boots and clothing and have kit (ruck sack, sleeping bag for the huts, head torch etc), appropriate for multi-day mountain walking and for the time of year. Your guide will check that your equipment is appropriate for the activity. A kit list is provided when you book.
- Flights – Easyjet fly from London Stansted to Asturias (OVD) and flights are currently (last year) under £80 return.
- All treks are delivered by a friendly, experienced, knowledgeable and qualifed Summer and Winter Mountain Leader.
We are happy to arrange bespoke treks in the Picos de Europa to suit requirements. Contact us to make a booking enquiry.