What an ideal birthday present! Get yourself prepared in the outdoors with Mountaineering Joe !
Hill Skills Course Outline
• Developing an understanding of how to plan low level walks.
• Becoming familiar with the use of a map and compass.
• Understanding the weather on the hills and how this differs to normal forecasts.
• Dealing with emergencies while out walking.
• Learning about the upland environment.
• Course review and feedback.
How it all works
Mountain Training, is the official UK body that oversees training for qualifications and personal skills in the outdoors.
All participants are required to register with Mountain Training. (http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/awards/hill-and-mountain-skills).
This is a one-off cost and allows access to either or both courses. Cost: £20 per person (£17 for 14 to 18s) This allows:
• Access to unlimited technical advice from Mountain Training
• You enter your walks into their logbook so you have a record of everything you have done (optional but great if you intend to take the outdoors further!)
• You will receive copy of the ‘Safety on Mountains’ handbook
• You Register/book a course on their web site
You then book a course via their web site. My courses will be listed under Mountaineeringjoe.
Following this link for further details: http://mountaineeringjoe.co.uk/walking/mountain-skills-course/
Once registered you can then start logging your days out immediately if you want to. When you are ready to book a course this can be done via the mountain training web site. I will be able to see your log book and then be able to tailor the instruction personally for you. Once you have attend the course then a certificate of attendance after the training course will be send to you.
Course requirements and equipment
• You will need clothing and footwear that is appropriate for mountain conditions.
• Hill and Mountain Skills courses require a minimum of 2 persons to run.
• Under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
For more information contact Mountaineering Joe or visit mountain training. Remember if you have a group of 4 or more then I can personally arrange a course date to suit you and bunkhouse accommodation for £120 pp during the week.
Get yourself prepared in the mountains with Mountaineering Joe.
The course develops skills in countryside and moorland areas and these will be applicable to many walking areas in the UK and Ireland. This is ideal for parents who want to build their children’s independence by allowing them to plan the walks. You will feel confident that they know how to look after themselves in the future whilst walking in the hills